Monday, November 24, 2008

Back to my roots

“Whoever will labor to get rid of self, to deny himself according to the instructions of Christ, strikes at once at the root of every evil, and finds the germ of every good.” --Francois de Salignac de La Mothe Fenelon

I have decided to go back to my roots, literally. I am going to stop highlighting, bleaching, dying—whatever you want to call it-- I am going to stop doing it to my hair and let it go back to it's au-naturale color. You know, the color God gave me and wants me to have. Yikes, you might be thinking, hello condemning, this is not to make anyone feel guilty about what you do to your hair that is between you, your maker and your stylist ;) This decision was reached after I was in Kansas City and my sister was holding her daughter Mia who was lunging at me smiling and grabbing for my hair. Now this in and of itself should make me want to continue to keep that blond hair blond because that is what she was grabbing for, keep my niece happy and hello, 13 month olds have excellent taste.

We were standing in the front of the church after the service was over and some guy watching this says, “She really likes your HIGHLIGHTED hair, huh.” I have zero memory of either my response or my sisters, I think because someone else instantly came up and started talking to us. Or because we both were in shock. I am not sure which. Also what kind of response would have been fitting.

~Perhaps some of these: "Yes, my niece has an eye for appreciating finely applied hydrogen-peroxide based highlighting agents to chemically treated hair, thank you for noticing and pointing it out."
~ Wow, not only are you an astute judge of my young niece's character and tastes you also have bluntly commented on the unrealistic coloring of my hair and I thank you. Or perhaps the simple response of ~.. Really, ya think.

Okay, okay, okay I know you are saying, aren't I over reacting here. It was a very little comment and he didn't speak in capital letters did he. But he did and or he did to me and I might point out....As soon as we got in the door from church and had unloaded the two little girls (which takes a bit of effort, etc) the first thing my sister turns to me and says is “So ummm that guy you know that commented on your HIGHLIGHTED hair, he has social problems and is, you know socially awkward and stuff...”

Job 6:25 “ How painful are honest words! But what do your arguments prove?”

Interesting, interesting, interesting, things that make you go hmmm. If socially awkward means you point out the obvious and are blunt... then yes I do know what you mean. All the poor guy did was say the truth, the truth is- I do have highlighted hair.

John 8:32 “Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Someone said when I told them I was not going to dye my hair anymore that they didn't even know what the real color of their hair was anymore because they had been dying it for so many years. And I had realized that the same was true of me which is why I wanted to stop. I had been changing it and covering it up for so long that I didn't even know what it was anymore.

Have you lied to yourself for so long about something or someone that you don't even know what the truth is anymore? Do you need to go back to your roots to find out what your real color is buried underneath all that bleach? Lord help me to be real with you and go back to all my roots to get to the heart of all the things I really need to give to you and change today so that I can be a happier, healthier Christian!
Proverbs 24 “An honest answer is like a kiss on the lips.”
Heaven helped me 5/22/08
Love Always,
A*

2 comments:

  1. this captures the moment well....who are we any way? It is a difficult road to the truth of who we are. So many constructed false self's.....

    keep writing, you are good.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. From reading some of your blogs im guessing you lost your way at some point in your life. What made you get back on the right track?

    ReplyDelete